Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Meet Carrie Lane, Musician

Carrie Lane is a musician who is excited to launch a 2016 tour with her new band, Honey Thief, a project that reflects her love for country music. The band is releasing their debut EP, Bad Idea, this month. Learn more about Carrie and Honey Thief by visiting www.carrielanemusic.com.

1. Where did you grow up, and what music did you grow up listening to?

I grew up in Montclair, NJ a suburb just out side of New York City. I grew up listening to a lot of the music that my parents liked when they were young. I remember my brothers calling the music "oldie moldies," but I never understood why they were making fun of it because I loved the music from the 60s and 70s that my parents played.

2. Honey Thief seems to bring together some pretty diverse musical influences. How do you describe your sound to people who haven't heard the band yet?

I guess the answer to that is that there is no true way to describe the musical style we have doing on; it's very unique. That is something that I definitely wanted going into this process. I wanted to be able to say that our music draws from so many different styles. If you say, "oh, I sound like Taylor Swift," well, what's fun about that? That person can go listen to a Taylor Swift song, and they probably already have. If you can describe your music by just comparing to one or two things, I don't think you're making music that is progressive or that is your own. In this business it is so important to keep trying new things and stay ahead of the curve.

3. What was your process like in writing the material for your EP, Bad Idea?

My producer James Strazza and I wrote each song a little differently. Nothing that he writes or that we write together ever starts the same way. A song might be influenced by a line or a concept lyrically and then music is written to it or vice-versa. We kind of just let what happen, happen. That is what kept the writing process so organic and, ultimately, gave the music such a unique sound.

4. What are your plans for the coming months in terms of touring and possibly recording more material?

We are going to be on tour in the NorthEast for March and April and then will have more tour dates announced in about a month or so. You can check out the official tour dates at www.honeythiefmusic.com! We are definitely going to keep writing while I'm on the road and continue to create new content throughout the year as well.

5. Is there anything else you'd like readers to know about Bad Idea?

Bad Idea is a very personal EP for me. Every song comes from a really authentic place in my life, and I think that is why listeners will be able to identify with it. I encourage everyone to take a listen and let me know what you think--I love interacting online with my fans especially on my Twitter and Instagram @HoneyThiefXX, so please give it a listen and let me know what you think! xo

Thanks, Carrie!

No comments:

Post a Comment