Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Meet Shane Lambert, Author

Shane Lambert is a freelance writer based in western Canada. He writes about tennis at movietvtechgeeks.com, and he has published his fiction with Amazon. Check out Shane's book, A Preference for Transience, part one of his travel/adventure ebook series "Back to Alberta, Back to Edmonton," on Amazon, Amazon.ca, and Amazon.uk.

1. How did you first become interested in writing?

I first became interested in writing as a student. I enjoyed English class more than all others in school, and that interest helped me put a lot of work into the subject. That in turn led to good marks and positive feedback from my teachers. Then in university I naturally gravitated toward the arts and humanities instead of the physical sciences. Accordingly, my writing skills developed, and when it came time to earn a living, writing ability was something I could offer employers.

2. I'm interested in the genre of a travel novel. Why did you decide to write about traveling in the format of a novel rather than a memoir?

I thought that a fictionalized account of my travel experiences was the way to go both to appeal to an audience and to allow me the artistic license to embellish or omit. Memoirs, in my understanding, are more of a serious attempt to reflect on one's life with historical accuracy. A fictionalized novel puts no such pressure on the writer from that point of view, as long as it's communicated to be a work of fiction. I didn't want to have to worry about being accurate as I wrote, and I wanted to keep other people out of my writing so fiction was the way to go.

3. What inspires the protagonist of A Preference for Transience to leave the town where he grew up?

He's unsatisfied with pursuing what he thinks is a boring career. Also, there's a pure wanderlust factor that kicks in. He needs a change of scenery.

4. In your experience, what are some things we can learn or experience through travel that we don't experience at home?

Travel is a form of education that's superior to textbook studies or studying film and literature. So you can learn all you want about a country from home, but there's nothing that replaces actual experience in the country. Plenty of things surprised me when I traveled, from how much poverty there is in the USA to how many people didn't like me for prejudicial reasons.

Also budget travel isn't about first class seats in a plane and five star hotels. There are plenty of challenges to be faced, and so there's natural growth from that.

5. What are some other projects you're currently working on?

I receive a lot of orders for my tennis writing on Fiverr. I also hold down a regular job as a hotel manager which is very absorbing. Other than that, I have no projects on the go except writing the "Back to Alberta, Back to Edmonton" series. I hope to be able to devote more time to it in the future.

Thanks, Shane!

No comments:

Post a Comment