Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Meet James Sklar, Podcast Host

Born and raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, James Sklar attended Syracuse University, studying Russian, Finance, and Marketing. He has traveled extensively throughout Europe and was the very last individual to walk through Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin, Germany. James has lived in San Francisco, New York, and Los Angeles, but he is now proud to call Western Massachusetts his home. He has always been a great lover of the spoken word medium. James is always listening and is grateful to have the opportunity to be heard.

The James Sklar Show is a podcast which covers a variety of topics, including life in the Berkshires, current events, food, and history. Check out a sample of his show by listening to his belated Father's Day podcast...

1. How did you first get interested in podcasting?

I started listening to podcasts a few years ago. My interest in spoken word begun with The Lost Lennon Tapes which aired in the 80s. The content was riveting. Ever since then, I've been hooked on the medium. Now with podcasts, the joy is listening when and where I want.

2. What are some of the topics you cover on The James Sklar Show, and how do you get your ideas for what to talk about?

My topics come from everyday life, an article, news, or whatever I feel like discussing. Generally, I bounce from one to the other.

3. What do you think that the element of audio adds to a reader/listener's experience, compared to just reading a blog post?

The audio creates an intimate relationship between speaker and listener. Reading a blog post is less engaging. I find that audio adds a sense element which personalizes content, which is key and what separates audio from other mediums.

4. As a listener, what do you personally admire in other podcasts, and what are some of your current favorites to listen to?

Passion and integrity. I listen to The Unexplained with Howard Hughes, since I love the subject matter and his delivery. I listen to Coast to Coast AM, due to the interesting variety of topics they explore. For laughs, I will listen to Doug Benson's Doug Loves Movies, because it's so silly and can be very funny.

5. For someone just getting started in blogging, podcasting, and other online media, what's your best advice?

Just start! It's so easy. My motto is don't talk about it, be about it!

Thanks, James!

No comments:

Post a Comment