Pages

Friday, June 6, 2014

Meet Sunnie Rae, Writer and Makeup Artist

Sunnie Rae was born in Vienna, Austria. As a child she discovered a passion for writing, and in 2006 she wrote her first novel (unpublished). In 2004 she has started a training as a makeup artist and since then has been doing makeup for photo shoots and films.

Sunnie Rae adds: "I've been through a lot in my life, but I've always kept the light in my heart. I'm currently working on a movie with Joseph Van Buren from NYC. I love life, animals, my family, movies, and of course writing.

Keep up with Sunnie Rae on Facebook and on Twitter.

1. Would you tell us a little bit about your writing and the projects you're currently working on?

I've been writing since I was a child. I started with poems and short stories. Now I write novels and screenplays (which I love the most). I'm currently working on three screenplays for gk-movies from Austria, and I'm very proud to work with Joseph Van Buren from New York City. It's a sci-fi/fantasy film we want to shoot in summer next year.

2. How do you combine your work as a writer with your work as a make up artist?

Usually I don't combine them, you know. Most of the time I write, and if I find time or an interesting project, I become a makeup artist again. :) When I write a movie, I also do some makeup for the film as I did with gk-movies and with Joseph. Especially if it's a low-budget or an independent movie, this is a great opportunity for the producers to save money.

3. How did you first become interested in becoming a makeup artist?

It's been a long time since then, so I don't really remember, I guess, but I think it was as I saw WHAT you can do with makeup. It's like plastic surgery for the moment. You can correct shapes and make every girl or woman beautiful. To see how they smile and shine when you're finished with their makeup is a great feeling.

4. In your experience, what are the main differences in writing for the page (novels/stories) and writing for the screen (screenplays)?

I think the main differences are how they "look" like on page and the style of writing. In a novel you can write what this person thinks, how this person feels, and you have hundreds of pages where you can describe the main character and his past. In a screenplay you can't do this. You have to let us know about the person, his past, and his feelings through what he says, how he talks, how he looks or reacts, and so on. You should let the audience know everything about the character through his behavior because there is no time to explain everything. I think such a movie would be boring to watch. Also, a novel is more feelings-driven, while a screenplay is more (or should be more) character- or action-driven.

5. What do you hope to accomplish in the next five years?

I hope to still get chances to write screenplays and to finish my novel. I want to move from Vienna, and I want to see the world and meet a lot of interesting people. In five years I want to make a living from writing (only), and I want to see one movie (or more) I wrote on screen.

Thanks, Sunnie Rae!

No comments:

Post a Comment