Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Meet Jeremiah Walton, Poet and Publisher

Jeremiah Walton is a youth poet living in New England where he attends high school. He manages Nostrovia! Poetry, a small, independent press, and is author of a handful of poetry collections, including LSD Giggles and To Your Health: Humanity's Diagnosis.

1. What inspired you to start Nostrovia! Poetry, and in what formats does Nostrovia! publish?

I created Nostrovia! Poetry to feature Nostrovia!, a collection of poems I attempted to publish through a vanity press in 2011. The project went haywire, and finally fell through summer of 2012. I've taken it into my own hands to self-publish the collection. During this process though, in late 2011, I realized I didn't want to solely feature my poetry and writing. The Guest Blog was then opened to promote other writers. The Guest Blog was the stepping stone that lead to Nostrovia! Poetry as it is now. It was an evolutionary process, of sorts.

Nostrovia! Poetry offers publication through three blogs--the Official N!P blog, Guest Blog, and Nano Nostrovia! Poetry--as well as anthologies, contests, and, recently, a project called "Too Obscene", a one issue zine.

2. As a writer and publisher, how do you maintain a balance between seeking publication of your own work and helping other work you admire find its way to publication?

I work the most with Nostrovia! Poetry, subjecting more of my time to the website than writing or seeking publication for my own work. I have a friend interested in working as an editor for N!P though, and I may take her up on that offer, in regards that it will open up time for me to actually write, though I truly enjoy working on the website, from maintenance to design, reading submissions, and organizing publishing endeavours. I've read many wonderful poems and met many wonderful people.

3. As someone who is young enough to have always has the internet be part of our culture, do you think you perceive publishing in a different way from someone who didn't grow up with the internet?

I might. I may add more merit to publishing online than people who have not always had the internet integrated into their life, but then again, I enjoy the feel of a print collection of my work in my hands the most.

4. What motivates you to write poetry?

I've asked myself this, and I still do not have a concrete answer. I am conveying myself and experiences to a reader through a creative medium. This can be done in countless ways, though. Poetry was what clicked with me.

5. What do you look for in the poetry you want to read (and to publish), and who are some of your favorite contemporary poets?

I look for originality and creativity, experimentation, and breaking the barriers many poets close themselves within, whether it's a closed-minded action of blocking yourself into a particular style and not allowing growth, or trapping yourself in age-old cliches.

My favorite contemporary poets include Allen Ginsberg, Walt Whitman, Gregory Corso, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Charles Bukowski, and a handful of others. Beat poets clicked extremely well with me, especially when I was younger.

Thanks, Jeremiah!

No comments:

Post a Comment