Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Meet Crystal Dayton, Graphic Designer and Photographer

Crystal Dayton is a passionate graphic designer from Toronto, Ontario. Her talents are varied with a predominant focus in graphic design and photography. She holds a diploma for the Visual and Creative Arts program at Sheridan College, and she currently works as a freelance graphic designer. She is a creative, reliable, hard-working designer who has helped businesses and individuals with professional designs.

Learn more about Crystal and her work by visiting crystaldayton.com and by checking out her blog and her Twitter feed.

1. How did you know you wanted to pursue a career as a designer?

I really always wanted to be a graphic designer, but I had people saying to me, "you should find a more stable job," so I listened. Then eventually I decided I need to do a job I love, and design is something I love. Also, I don't like the idea of a stable job; I like adventure, not knowing what's next. I know eventually my art will turn into a career. So I've had a lot of going back and forth with my career.

2. How does your creative work as a painter and photographer influence your perspective when doing design jobs?

My creative work as a painter influences my design work because instead of simply thinking more for appeal, I want to make something unique like a painting rather than just a design. My photography influences my designs because I usually add my photos to my designs.

3. Would you tell us a bit about some of the design projects you've especially enjoyed working on?

Lately I have been really enjoying designing logos. I find logos are really fun to make, and they require a lot of creativity. Also, I get to meet a lot of people who have their own businesses and sometimes even other artists. I really enjoyed making one logo in particular; it was for a graphic designer who wanted a logo for her graphics company called TaylorMade named after her son. She didn't know how to use the software so I designed it for her.

4. I see that you offer design services through your own website as well as through Fiverr.com. Are most of your clients local, or are you finding clients all over the world these days?

I just joined fiverr.com in October of 2016. I used to have my clients more locally, but now since I have joined several freelance sites, I am acquiring clients from all over the world.

5. What's your advice to someone who needs something like a logo or a book cover design and isn't a designer but wants to do it themselves instead of hiring a professional? What are the benefits of hiring a pro, and do you think the design services are actually more affordable than people might think?

If someone doesn't want to hire a pro to do it, I would suggest learning the programs, showing your design to other people to get feedback, looking into what kind of company you want to be because that should be portrayed in your design, and also reading up on design. The benefits of hiring a pro are it saves you the time to learn the software; the pro is already creative so you may get more options from them; and it's good to discuss what you want because it helps to brainstorm with another person. Services are usually more affordable than you would think; depending on what you want, for example, on Fiverr you can get a basic design for about $5, but if you want something more you may have to spend a little more.

Thanks, Crystal!

No comments:

Post a Comment