Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Meet Sullee J, Poet and Hip Hop Artist

Sullee J is a warrior poet and philanthropist from Baltimore. He's an emcee whose strong will and devotion to the human spirit carries his exploration of the language, making serious play of the words that represent the deepest of the mind's pains, hopes, losses, and fears. He has recently collaborated with Young Buck, Project Pat, Joe Moses, Royce Da 5'9, Crooked I, Canibus, Cashis, Cyssero, K-Rino, and more.

Check out Sullee J's music on SoundCloud and YouTube, and follow him on Twitter.

1. When you were a kid, what came first for you--music or poetry, or did you become interested in both around the same time?

Poetry. If anything made sense at that point, it was putting my feelings into words. I felt like it was the best way to understand myself, and for myself to be heard. I would write for hours, and somehow it all came out in rhythmic patterns. The ink bled my thoughts, allowing me to escape my mind's darkest caverns.

2. What is your process like when it comes to composing new work?

Sometimes, depending on my mood, a whole song can take me under 20 minutes to write, and sometimes I will spend a week. It all depends on what I'm going through, and the current emotion I'm allowing to peak.

3. You do a lot of collaboration with other artists. What does collaboration add to your own work?

It allows me to build with the other artists and show versatility in my music. Because most of the collaborations I've had are with major artists, it really allows me to challenge myself as a musician. I will always be different--I choose not to be congruent. I want to show my fans, but also other artists on the come up, always stay true to yourself, regardless the influence.

4. What projects are ahead for you in 2016?

Stay tuned for a lot of brilliant works in the mix right now. My latest project coming out next is Andrew Slayer: The Undefined Soul. A clash between Hip Hop/EDM.

5. What is your advice to others who are interested in rap and hip hop but haven't started recording and sharing their own rhymes yet?

Don't let anyone else tell you how to feel about yourself. If you believe in your dreams, then keep going. You don't need people in your circle that are constantly putting you down. Stick to positive energy only. Life is too short to allow negativity to surround.

Thanks, Sullee J!

No comments:

Post a Comment