Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Meet JSR, Independent Music Artist

JSR is an un-signed hip-hop and dance music artist from the Metro-Detroit area of Michigan. He produces all of his own music and writes his own lyrics. He prides himself on a music style that is unique and different from the Detroit norm. JSR is well-networked in the Detroit nightlife and party scene, as well as on the student campus scenes. He has worked with many other local artists, and just recently released his debut studio album. He recently opened up for the Ying Yang twins, and has received radio airplay numerous times on Detroit's 89x Radio Station, for which he was the "pick-of-the-week" from local talent.

Check out his first song, Bye Bye Mr. Nice Guy, on iTunes, and find more of his work on JSR's YouTube channel, as well as his Bandcamp page.

1. What's the story/inspiration behind your first single?

My inspiration behind Bye Bye Mr. Nice Guy is basically being tired of being pushed around. You go through this whole thing with rivals, non-believers, and love interests and after a while of being put down about what I wanna be, I just got upset and decided to retaliate in a way. Music just happens to be the best outlet when you're going through some things in life.

2. How would you describe the music scene in Detroit?

The scene in Detroit has a lot of talent. I'm proud to be in a pool of great artists. However, there doesn't seem to be a huge group of individuals or groups that's really trying to express a diverse feel. I love all types of music so I'm trying to convey that I can make what I like whether it be hip hop, trap, pop, or whatever else makes me happy.

3. What projects are you currently working on?

My current project I'm working on is my new album, Avid Dreams, which this new single is gonna be featured on. The title "Avid Dreams" derives from me constantly dreaming and wishing to live a certain flashy lifestyle. I wanna be the next big star out of my city and I strive to be that.

4. How would you categorize your music in terms of genres?

Music in terms of genres I guess you could classify me as hip hop because I'm a rapper at the end of the day, but one of my friends actually just told me that I should be put under hip hop/pop.

5. Who are some artists whose work has been influential to you as you develop your own music career?

I've been influenced by some of everybody, but I'd say some of the biggest would have to be Timbaland and Pharrell as far as producers seeing as I how I produce 95% of my own music. As far as artist I'm really inspired by Drake, Lupe Fiasco, Justin Timberlake, and Kanye West. I could go on and on but those guys probably keep the inspiration coming.

Thanks, JSR!

No comments:

Post a Comment