Check out When Life Gives You Lemons, Drink Coffee! on Amazon, and learn more about Deanna by visiting her website, writing blog, and food blog.
1. How did you come up with the idea for When Life Gives You Lemons, Drink Coffee!?
I normally take a snippet from my own life and create a novel based in that snippet. I always create a general outline of the book first, and then I add the fictional details as I write.
2. In creating the town of Triple Creek, did you draw on any real town or towns where you've lived or visited?
I took a local residential subdivision that I liked the name of to come up with the town name in North Carolina. The area that Janine and Tom move to in New York state, I used to visit every summer growing up in New Jersey!
3. How would you describe your protagonist, Janine?
Janine began this journey living her life according to the expectations of her family and friends. As she grew and got to know herself, she changed and began to live a life that was pleasing to her and brought her happiness.
4. What keeps you motivated to sit down at your desk and write?
Thank you for asking this question! Writing brings me joy and peace. I set writing goals for myself. When I achieve them, I have a wonderful sense of accomplishment. As I write to reach a goal, I remember the feelings of success I have felt in the past when reaching a goal, and that helps to keep me going. My family is also an unbelievable source of strength for me. When I need motivation, I think about them and the example I am setting for my children, and that keeps my plugging along as well.
5. Have you ever thought of writing a cookbook--or what are some "dream" projects you'd like to do?
Funny you should ask... I am currently working on a comfort foods cookbook! My goal is to have it completed in 2016! Not a dream project, but something I think about often and strongly desire is to be on the New York Times best sellers list and to have my books made into Hallmark movies!